About Cancer Research UK
The UK's leading funder of cancer research
Cancer Research UK is pioneering life-saving research to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured. In the UK survival rates have doubled in the past 40 years and we've been at the heart of this progress. But we can’t stop there.
Every two minutes someone in the UK is told they have cancer. As the population grows and ages, the number of cases continues to rise. We want to create more tomorrows for more people and we’re determined to keep pushing forward in our fight against cancer.
What we do
We fund research into many aspects of cancer through the work of more than 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses across the UK. We work hard to prevent the disease and diagnose it as early as possible, when it can be.
Our vision – together, we will bring forward the day when all cancers are cured – is only achievable thanks to all of our supporters like you.
We are focussed on some key ways to ensure our success in beating cancer:
- Carrying out world-class research to improve our understanding of cancer and find out how to prevent, diagnose and treat different kinds of cancer
- Ensuring that our findings are used to improve the lives of all cancer patients
- Helping people to understand cancer, the progress we are making and the choices each person can make
- Working in partnership with others to achieve the greatest impact in the global fight against cancer
- Our research is entirely funded by the public so the money you raise for your Race for Life event can help us achieve our vision and give hope to people affected by cancer both now and in the future
Our achievements and progress
Find out how the amazing women, like you, who take part in Race for Life have helped Cancer Research UK make some fantastic progress in beating cancer over the years.
Our research near you
Did you know that 90 per cent of the UK's population live within 30 miles of a Cancer Research UK funded research site? Find out about research taking place in your area.
Keep up to date
Information about cancer for patients and their families
If you have been affected by cancer and have questions, Cancer Research UK can help you find reliable and easy to understand answers.
- Find out about cancer, its treatment and the latest research at CancerHelp UK.
- Ask our cancer nurses questions on any aspect of cancer, freephone and in confidence on 0808 800 4040, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
- Share experiences with others affected by cancer on our forum Cancer Chat.
Beating cancer together
Our work is only possible because of you. However, significant challenges lie ahead. The number of people diagnosed with cancer in the UK is set to rise steeply by 2030. With increased support, we could save more lives sooner.
We're already getting excited about next year's events and we'd love to see you there. Make sure you're the first to know about our 2013 series by registering your interest and we will send you an email once we are open for entry.