Quick fundraising tips
Boost your fundraising fast!
The money you raise is helping fund the next big discovery in the fight against cancer. Every pound you raise helps more people survive and will bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
Follow our quick tips to make the most of your fundraising and learn how to increase your sponsorship total, so that together we will beat cancer sooner.
You can find all this information and more in our Quick tips pack (PDF, 713KB)
Make the most of your JustGiving page
JustGiving is the online platform we recommend for Race for Life. Here are some simple tips on how to get the most of it.
1) Customise it:
- Add a profile photo so supporters know it’s your page.
- Tell your story of why you are taking part. Whether it’s in memory of a loved one, in celebration, as a personal challenge, or for a bit of fun. Let everyone know why they should sponsor you.
- Add your own photos for a personal touch (making sure you have permission of the people who appear in them).
- Set yourself a target then try and get the most generous person to donate to you first. That way, when other people visit your fundraising page, they may be tempted to match or ‘out sponsor’ them.
2) Share it:
- Share a link to your page – whether it’s via Facebook, Twitter or email - it’s a great way to let everyone know you’re taking part and an informal way to ask for sponsorship.
- Share your page straight after your event too, along with images or selfies of you with your medal or caked in mud from Pretty Muddy®
3) Keep it updated:
- Download the Race for Life app so you can easily keep track of your target and stay up to date on who has donated to your page, and any messages of support they have left you. It’s free to download and available for iOS and Android.
- Leave updates on fundraising or training. Getting up at 6am to train for your run? Let your supporters know how hard your working!
- Say thanks to everyone who’s donated.
- Your page doesn’t close for 7 weeks after your event which means there’s plenty of time to drum up more donations.
Share your JustTextGiving code
Once you have created a JustGiving page then you automatically have a JustTextGiving code too. This ‘text to donate’ code makes it even easier for friends and family to donate straight to your page. Best of all, it’s free for them to donate via text.
Follow our steps below to learn how to personalise and use your JustTextGiving code.
- Log into your JustGiving account and click on ‘Edit’ in the left hand side of your Feed.
- Click on ‘Get started with your unique text code’. You will see your code displayed under ‘Start fundraising with JustTextGiving’.
- To personalise, click “Personalise your code” and choose a 4 letter and 2 number code. Select “save” to confirm the changes.
- Share with your supporters, and ask them to simply text your CODE followed by the AMOUNT to 70070.
You can only donate £1, £2, £3, £4, £5, £10 by text, for any other amount your supporters needs to go online.
If you forget your JustTextGiving code, don’t worry because we include it in all email communications sent to you.
Don’t want to raise money online?
If you’d rather not raise money online, you can use our sponsorship form. Stick it up at work or take it round to friends and family to encourage them all to sponsor you for taking part this year.
Keep a coin jar on your desk and ask colleagues to donate any spare change they have each week – it will soon add up!
Some employers will donate to your cause through a matched giving scheme, so they will match whatever your final total is. Chat to your boss to see if this is something available to you.
For more fundraising ideas check out our handy fundraising packs.
Make sure sponsors add Gift Aid
Did you know that if you’re a UK tax payer, you can Gift Aid your donation? This means that an extra 25% will be added to your donation, absolutely free of charge to your sponsors. Make sure to encourage everyone who can to add Gift Aid so that we can fund even more research.