Hey cancer, take a hike
Brand new for 2016! This September we are holding the first Race for Life Hiking event in the Peak District. If you love walking in the great outdoors and want to show cancer who’s boss then this is the event for you.
As with all Race for Life events we will be offering support every step of the way. With unlimited free entry to 5k and 10k events (see below for details) to help with your training, and plenty of tea stops along the route there’s no better excuse to get moving.
Find out about future events
Unfortunately the Race for Life Hiking event has now sold out. If you want to hear about our future Hiking events, please fill out the form at the link below so we can let you know details.
Date: Saturday 17th September 2016
Time: Start from 7.30am (registration opens at 6.30am)
Adult entry (Women aged 16+): £25
Child entry: Due to the nature of this event, children cannot take part
Venue: Peak District
Distance: 40km (25 miles) with a total climb of 475m over the entire route. We anticipate that participants will take between 8-12 hours to complete the route.
About the route
- Start at Bakewell County Showground
- Join the Monsal Trail, heading north-west on a former Midland railway line, for around 4 miles
- Drop into the horseshoe-shaped valley of Monsal Dale that runs alongside the River Wye. This is thought the most stunning dale in the Peak District National Park.
- Head up through Deep Dale and head south-west across stunning countryside, past the village of Monyash before joining the Pennine Bridleway at around Mile 10.
- Head south-east for approx. 2.5 miles before joining the High Peak Trail which takes the line of the former Cromford and High Peak Railway and provides you with around 9 miles of simply breath-taking views of the National Park.
- Take a footpath south towards Carsington Water and, most importantly, the finish line.
What will be provided on the day
- Shuttles to transport any bags you need taking from the start to the finish line (bags left at your own risk)
- A fully signed and mapped route (maps provided at registration)
- A Support Point approximately every 6 miles throughout the course with water and snacks
- A packed lunch at the halfway point
- Medical teams on the course, including at each Support Point
- Event medical number to call in case of injury along the route
- Smiles and cheers from our Race for Life staff and volunteers as you pass through our Support Points and cross the finish line
- A finisher’s medal and glass of bubbly
- Shuttles at the finish line to transport you back to the start area or to the train station at Matlock
What you need to bring
A full kit list will be provided closer to the event and will contain compulsory items (such as sturdy, broken-in walking shoes, a warm layer of clothing, breathable waterproofs, a water bottle) and suggested/optional items (such as walking poles, blister plasters).
You will not need specialist equipment such as compasses, nightlights etc.
Due to the mixed terrain and inclines, this event is not wheelchair accessible.
Because of the number of fellow walkers and general public using the trails, and the need to keep the trails as clear as possible, dogs will not be permitted for this event.
Ample parking is available at Bakewell County Showground. The nearest train station is Matlock. There will be a shuttle service at the finish line to take you back to the Showground or to the train station.
JustGiving is the online sponsorship platform we recommend for Race for Life. It's quick to set up and simple to use. Your friends and family can sponsor you easily, you can keep track of donations and your sponsorship will automatically be sent to us - you don't need to do anything!
We suggest that you aim to raise at least £200 for this event to help beat cancer sooner.
Entry to this event also gives you free entry into unlimited Race for Life 5k and 10k events (does not include Pretty Muddy® events) so you can start your training over the summer.
We have also joined forces with RunningWithUs to create a 12 week training plan to get you race ready.
You can contact the Race for Life team with any questions by calling our hotline on 0300 123 1022. Lines are open from Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.