How far is 5k?
An achievable distance for all women
Race for Life 5k events are just over three miles, which isn't that much further than when you walk your dog, go sightseeing or go on a shopping trip.
This is why our 5k events are the perfect race to take part in with all your friends and family, regardless of age or fitness.
We have nearly 200 5k events taking place across the country this year so the first step is to find an event and enter – and show cancer that hell hath no fury like a woman in pink.
So how far exactly is 5k?
5k is ...
- walking the circular route at Braids Hill in Edinburgh
- strolling up and down Southend promenade
- not much further than walking Cardiff’s Centenary Walk
- following the Thames from Westminster Bridge to the Tower of London
- walking from Whiteladies Road in Bristol down to the Floating Harbour
- the same as Belfast’s famous ghost walk
- a shopping trip in Leeds finishing in the Corn Exchange
- sightseeing along the eastern tip of the Isle of Wight coastal path
- walking from Nottingham Station to Council House three times
Training for your 5k
We’ve teamed up with our partner, Kiqplan™, to produce a range of simple 6-week training plans to help you get ready for a 5k.
So whether you’ve chosen to walk, jog or run the course we have a training plan for you.
Need a little extra help? Why not download our free Race for Life app. It’s full of training tips, motivational stories and keeps you up to date on the latest news.
Take the 10k challenge
Reckon you can double the distance (and the fun) with a Race for Life 10k event? Find out how far 10k is.