Who can enter Race for Life
Frequently asked questions
If your question is not answered here, please call us on 0845 600 6050. Lines are open Monday – Friday, 8.00am to 9.00pm, Saturday and Sunday (and bank holidays) 9.00am to 5.00pm.
1. Who can take part in Race for Life?
Race for Life is just for women and is open to all women of all fitness levels and disabilities– different entry restrictions apply to those under 18 and under 16 (see below). Some of our courses are wheelchair friendly to ensure we incorporate the needs of everybody.
2. Can my child enter Race for Life?
Yes your daughter under 16 and your son aged 12 or under can enter Race for Life for the special price of £10. Any children under the age of six (boys or girls) do not have to register and they can come along free of charge when accompanied by an adult who is registered and completing the race with them. Children aged six and over have to be registered to participate and the cost to enter a child is £10.
3. Are boys allowed to take part in Race for Life?
Yes, boys aged 12 and under (on the day of their event) are now able to take part in Race for Life (if they are signed up by an adult female who is also taking part in the same race).
4. Why are boys allowed to enter Race for Life?
For the first time two years ago we trialled allowing boys to take part in Race for Life alongside an adult female and due to feedback we’ve received from supporters we have now decided to let boys aged 12 and under take part alongside an adult female this year.
5. Can my son take part even though I’ve already entered Race for Life?
Yes, if you call us on 0845 600 6050 you can enter your son (aged 12 and under) into an event even if you’ve already entered. It would help us if you have your Unique Reference Number to hand when you call (This is the number that is printed on the letter in your Race for Life pack and on all emails we’ve sent you). We’ll ask you for your details and to confirm that you give your parental consent for him to take part.
6. Can I submit an entry for my son on the Race for Life website?
No - you can only enter boys aged 12 and under into a Race for Life event by calling us on 0845 600 6050. Our lines are open Monday to Friday from 8 am – 9 pm and Saturday to Sunday from 9.00am to 5.00pm.
7. What age restrictions are there?
Entry rules for participants:
- Cannot enter individually
- Must be an additional entrant, where the primary entrant is over 18
- Must give contact details for a parent or guardian
- Cannot set up a group or become a group leader
16 and 17 year olds
- Can enter individually
- Do not need parent or guardian details
- Cannot be the primary entrant for multiple entries
- Can be a group leader
- Cannot be responsible for entrants under 16.
- Can enter individually
- Can be the primary entrant for multiple entries
- Can be the primary entrant for an additional entrant under 16 and/or a group leader
8. Can I take part if I am a transvestite or transgender?
Race for Life are happy to accept entries from transgender women. However, as Race for Life is a female only event we have a promise and responsibility to our female supporters to ensure our Race for Life events are represented by women only. This means that anyone who is not a woman or transgender woman is not eligible to participate in Race for Life. There are, however, a variety of other events Cancer Research UK supports that everyone is able to take part in.
9. Can I take part with my dog?
We allow participants to take part with their dogs at some of our venues - you can check this on our website under our specific event venue pages. However, we would ask that you be a responsible dog owner when bringing your pet to a Race for Life event as there will be a range of children and adults.
You must ensure:
- Your dog is kept on a lead, under close control at all times, and any usual equipment (muzzle / harness etc) be used to control your dog on the day.
- Your dog has a collar with a clearly identifiable tag.
- You bring adequate water supplies for your dog to keep them hydrated.
- If your dog fouls, please ‘scoop the poop.’
- If it is hot weather, please keep your dog in the shade where possible.
Please note there are number of our Race for Life venues that don’t permit dogs on site (with the exception of guide dogs and assistance dogs). Please take a look at the specific event venue pages or call our hotline on 0845 600 6050 before entering to confirm whether your chosen event allows dogs.