Terms & Conditions
© Cancer Research UK 2009. All rights reserved.
(Scroll down for Race at Your Place terms and conditions)
In the context of these terms and conditions, the following words shall have the following meanings:
"Cancer Research UK" means Cancer Research UK, a charity registered under number 1089464 and a company limited by guarantee registered under number 4325234, having its registered office at Angel Building, 407 St John Street, London EC1V 4AD;
“the Website” means any website under the ownership or control of Cancer Research UK from which a link has been created to these terms and conditions;
“the Material” means all of the information, data, text, graphics, links or computer code published on, contained or available on the Website;
"User" means the individual, firm, company or organisation accessing this website or making an Order;
2. Applicable terms and conditions
The Website is owned by Cancer Research UK and any use made of this site (including registrations and donations made via the Website), are subject to these terms and conditions. Cancer Research UK may, at its sole discretion, modify or revise these terms and conditions at any time by updating the text of this page.
3. Use of the Website
Anyone is entitled to view any non-password protected parts of the Website and to use for their own purposes the information contained therein, provided:
3.1 it is used for information purposes only, for reproduction for personal use only and not for reproduction on any other website or for commercial gain.
3.2 any links created to the Website are notified to and approved by Cancer Research UK before they are created.
3.3 no part of the Website is copied, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means to any third party without the written permission of Cancer Research UK.
4. Copyright and trade marks
4.1 Copyright in the Material is owned by Cancer Research UK or its content suppliers. Unauthorised use of the Material including reproduction, storage, modification, distribution or republication without the prior written consent of Cancer Research UK or, where applicable, the respective copyright owner(s) is prohibited.
4.2 The names and logos of Cancer Research UK and all related product and service names, designs marks and slogans are the trade names, service marks or trade marks of Cancer Research UK and may not be used without the prior consent of Cancer Research UK.
4.3 All works in the nature of databases attract database rights.
The website is intended to provide general information only and, as such, should not be considered as a substitute for advice covering any specific situation. Users should seek appropriate advice before taking or refraining from taking any action in reliance on any information contained in this website. So far as permissible by law, Cancer Research UK does not accept any liability to any person relating to the use of any such information.
Whilst Cancer Research UK has taken every precaution in compiling this site neither it nor any contributors to the site can be held responsible for any action (or the lack thereof) taken by any person or organisation wherever they shall be based, as a result, direct or otherwise, on information contained in or accessed through this internet site.
6. Target audience
The Website is intended for use by UK residents and only in relation to their activities within the UK. It may be dangerous to apply any of the information on the Website to activities outside the UK.
Cancer Research UK does not represent or warrant that the information accessible via the Website is accurate, complete or correct. Cancer Research UK has no liability whatsoever in respect of any use which you make of such information except in the case of personal injury or death caused by the negligence of Cancer Research UK.
The information provided on this Website has not been written to meet individual requirements and it is your sole responsibility to satisfy yourself prior to using the information in any way for your purposes. Before making any decisions based on the information contained on the Website, you are strongly advised to refer to alternative, independent sources of information to substantiate the basis for your decision.
7. Warranty and indemnity
The User warrants to Cancer Research UK that it will not use the Website, the Material or any part thereof for any purpose that is in contravention of any applicable law or regulation or in a manner that will infringe the copyright, trademarks, service marks or other intellectual property rights of third parties or violate the privacy, publicity or other personal rights of others or in any defamatory, obscene, threatening, abusive or hateful manner. The User shall indemnify Cancer Research UK, its employees and agents, harmless against all claims, liability, losses, damages and expenses including, without limitation, legal fees and costs arising out of or incurred as a result of any claims made, or litigation brought, against Cancer Research UK, its employees and agents, as a result of the use by the User of the Website, the Material or any part thereof for whatever purpose, to the fullest extent permitted by law.
8. Limitation of liability
Cancer Research UK hereby disclaims all warranties and conditions with regard to the Material and any goods or services supplied in relation to the Website, whether express or implied or statutory (including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose). In no event shall Cancer Research UK be liable for any indirect, punitive, special, incidental, or consequential damages whatsoever even if Cancer Research UK has been advised of the possibility of damages including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profits arising out of or in any way connected with the use or performance of the Website, interruptions or delays to the Website, the provision of or failure to provide services, or for any information, Material, goods and services obtained through the Website or otherwise arising out of the use of the Website, whether based on contract, tort or otherwise to the fullest extent permitted by law.
9. Third party websites
The Website contains links to websites operated by parties other than Cancer Research UK. Such links are provided for the User's convenience only. Cancer Research UK does not control such websites, and is not responsible for their content. Cancer Research UK's inclusion of links to such websites does not imply any endorsement of the material on such websites or any association with their operators. The User is solely responsible for evaluating the accuracy and completeness of any information contained on the third party websites, and also the value and integrity of any goods and services offered by such websites.
10. Privacy and Data Protection
Our Privacy Statement can be read in full here.
Whilst Cancer Research UK makes all reasonable attempts to exclude viruses from the website it cannot ensure such exclusion and no liability is accepted for damage caused through the downloading of viruses. Therefore, you are recommended to take all appropriate safeguards before downloading information from the Website.
12. Online Transactions
Cancer Research UK reserves the right to vary event registration fees and the prices of any goods or services listed without notice. All event registrations and orders for goods or services are subject to availability and Cancer Research UK reserves the right to refuse to accept any registration and to refuse to supply any goods or services to any individual.
Although the Website uses encryption security software in areas where on line payment details are accepted, the security of information and payments transmitted via the Internet cannot be guaranteed. Any loss incurred or sustained by any User who transmits information by means of e-mail or other Internet links shall be borne solely and exclusively by such User and in no event shall any such loss in whole or part be borne by Cancer Research UK or it's agents.
14. Force majeure
Cancer Research UK shall not be held to be in breach of its obligations hereunder nor liable to the User for any loss or damage which may be suffered by another party due to any cause beyond its reasonable control including without limitation any act of God, fire, storm, flood, lightening, disease, strike, trade dispute, act of terrorism, any act or omission of government or regulatory bodies or communications operators.
15.1 If any provisions of these terms and conditions are held to be invalid or unenforceable, the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions shall not be affected.
15.2 These terms and conditions constitute the entire agreement between Cancer Research UK and the User and supercede all other (prior or contemporaneous) communications and proposals, whether electronic or written, between the User and Cancer Research UK.
15.3 Any failure of Cancer Research UK to exercise or enforce any of its rights under these terms and conditions shall not be deemed to be a waiver of any such rights or operate so as to bar the subsequent exercise or enforcement or any such rights.
The terms and conditions and the use by the User of the Website shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and the parties hereto submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts in all disputes arising out of or relating to the Website and/or any transactions made on the Website, or these terms and conditions.
Race At Your Place™ terms & conditions
1. I am at least 18 years old and I agree to organise a Race at Your Place™ event as an independent supporter of Cancer Research UK (the “Event”). I agree to organise the Event in a proper and professional way, having the safety of the participants in mind at all times as the main priority.
2. I agree that any costs or risks that arise out of the Event that I organise are my responsibility and I shall ensure that the Race at Your Place™ Event is organised safely.
3. I agree that Cancer Research UK and its subsidiaries (such as Cancer Research UK Trading Limited) (together “CR-UK”) shall not be liable for any injury, damage or loss howsoever suffered by me, the participants or spectators or any other third party as a result of the organisation of or participation in the Event (other than in respect of death or personal injury arising as a result of CR-UK’s negligence or any other liability that may not be excluded as a matter of law.)
4. I am aware that Cancer Research UK’s insurance policy will not cover the organisation of and participation in the Event. I will consequently arrange for appropriate insurance cover to be put in place.
5. I will not do anything that threatens Cancer Research UK’s reputation or name, and if I do, Cancer Research UK can require me to cease fundraising on its behalf.
6. I agree to only use CR-UK’s branded materials for the purpose of the Event.
7. I will ensure that all participants and spectators of the Event (and parents/legal guardians where such individuals are under the age of 18) are aware of and agree to the following before attending the Event:
- it is not Cancer Research UK’s intention to photograph or video individuals at the Event but should it wish to do so, Cancer Research UK will arrange to obtain consent to do so beforehand; BUT
- there may be photos or videos taken by others at the Event over whom Cancer Research UK has no control.
8. Race at Your Place™ would welcome any photos or videos of the Event for promotional purposes. Therefore if I wish I can send any to email@example.com (for schools) or firstname.lastname@example.org (for organisations), but if I do so, I will ensure that:
- I will not send Cancer Research UK any photos, videos or names of individuals under the age of 18 (but 18 year olds may appear in group photos/videos);
- it is my own photograph or video, solely owned by me and in which I have copyright; AND
- everyone featured in the photos/videos (and their parents/legal guardians where an individual featured is under the age of 18) has consented in advance to the photos/videos being passed to Cancer Research UK and for them being used by Cancer Research UK to publicise Race at Your Place™ and for other fundraising and publicity purposes in all media (including printed material, television, internet publication and social media sites).
9. I agree that where children under the age of 18 wish to participate in the Event I shall obtain the prior written consent of their parents or legal guardians
10. I agree that due to health and safety reasons, I shall not give any medals provided to me by CR-UK to any child under 3 years old and I will advise parents not to allow children under the age of 3 years old to play with these medals.
11. I agree that all monies raised in connection with the Event will be held on trust for Cancer Research UK and that I have a legal responsibility to pass these to Cancer Research UK.
12. I agree to pay all monies raised in connection with the Event to Cancer Research UK as soon as practicable after the Event and I will not deduct any costs incurred from these monies. Monies raised can be paid:
- by setting up an online fundraising page
- by calling Cancer Research UK on 0845 600 6050; or
- by sending a cheque made payable to "Cancer Research UK" (stating your unique reference number on the back) to Race for Life, PO Box 442, Northampton, NN3 6UU
Please ensure that all sponsorship forms are returned to Cancer Research UK to enable it to claim Gift Aid where possible.