How far is 10k?
Anyone can do 10k with a bit of training
If you have taken part in a 5k Race for Life before, maybe this year you want to up the challenge? Or maybe 10k is a distance that is better suited to you?
10 kilometres is just over six miles, which may sound a little daunting, but is an achievable challenge for anyone with a bit of training.
So exactly how far is 10k?
10k is …
- walking the circular Postbrige walk in Dartmoor
- a stroll along the Grand Union Canal in central London
- a trip through Bristol from Bedminster Library to Ashton Court Mansion
- strolling along the River Tyne in Newcastle
- a wander around Holyrood Park in Edinburgh
- walking from the Millennium Centre in Cardiff to Mermaid Quay, twice
- twice round Manchester University's campus
- a jaunt along Beachy Head from Eastbourne to Birling Gap
- walking up and down Northern Ireland's Bangor beach three times
Take on a 10k
We have nearly 100 Race for Life 10k events taking place up and down the country this year. Now you know how far it is, why not take the first step and find an event and enter - and show cancer that hell hath no fury like a woman in pink.
Find your event
Up the challenge
Think you can go a little further than 10k? Last year we held the first ever women-only Half Marathon. We’re still finalising details but if you register now then we will let you know as soon as entries open.