Be a part of something special
Support participants at one of our biggest series of fundraising events, the Race for Life.
Our Race for Life events couldn't happen without volunteers. Whatever time and skills you have to share, we've got a great role for you. Just bring your energy, smiles and passion to the party and let's beat cancer together.
Help set up and run the race, support our racers around the course or hand out medals at the finish line. With over 400 events taking place in the UK, our participants are walking, jogging and running all over cancer.
We're doing everything we can to keep you safe on the day
- Putting social distancing measures in place across all our events
- We'll be splitting participants into waves to reduce congestion on the course and to ensure there are fewer people on the event site
- Each site will have a COVID-19 coordinator
- There will be hand sanitiser provided at your event, which we encourage you to use throughout the day
- We will be either quarantining equipment or cleaning it between events
- We'll be giving video briefings to volunteers to provide you with all the information you need before your event and reduce time on site
What to expect when volunteering
We need volunteers to help us deliver key aspects of our events, and there's plenty of exciting things you might be asked to help with. You will get more detail on exactly what you will be doing once you've signed up. The Event Manager will be get in touch with you approximately 2 weeks before the event to give you all the info you need, and to answer any questions you might have.
Share your story with your volunteer backsign
Any time at all that you can spare would be much appreciated. No matter how much time you have, your helping hands will be a valuable asset to the event!
Please let the event manager know how long you are able to be on site and we can make sure your role is flexible to your availability. We need volunteers to help set up and pack down so don’t worry if you can’t stay the whole day or make it for the start of the event.
Please do not register online! Instead, you’ll need to fill in a paper application form and have it signed by a parent or guardian. You can do this on the day, or request a form prior to the event by emailing email@example.com, letting us know your name, age and which event you want to volunteer at. We will then pass on your details to the event organiser who will be in touch nearer the time with further details. Under 16s: you will need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian on the day.
- It’s an amazing experience - volunteering at The Race for Life event has an atmosphere like no other.
- The satisfaction of knowing that you are making a valuable contribution to the life-saving work Cancer Research UK is doing right now.
- The experience of working with one of the UK’s leading charities on its premier national event series.
- Meeting new and like-minded people in your local area and creating a positive impact in your community.
- Learning new skills and gaining new experiences to support you in your personal and career development.
- A volunteer t-shirt and light refreshments.
A member of the team will contact you before the event to discuss any queries you have about the event or your role. You’ll receive briefing notes before the event and a full explanation of your role on the day. All volunteer teams have a designated manager who will guide and support you in your role and answer any questions you may have.