3k training plans
Here are our 6-week training plans, designed to get you ready for your 3k Race for Life. Designed for people of all ages and fitness levels, simply choose the pace you want to do.
Choose your plan
Top tips for everyone
We’ve worked with our sponsor Runners Need to provide some top tips to help everyone have a great Race for Life.
1. To get the most out of your event, it’s important to wear the right shoes. Our sponsor Runners Need can offer you a free gait analysis by one of their in-store experts. Find out more about gait analysis
2. If you’re new to walking longer distances, jogging or running, don’t worry about your pace or how long you go for – this will come in time. Remember, consistency is key.
3. Make your runs enjoyable by adopting a training plan tailored to smash your goals. It’s crucial to build your fitness up gradually and to embrace a walk/run strategy in your personal plan.
4. We know life can take over sometimes, so make sure you schedule in training time that works best for you.
5. Remember to warm up and cool down before any physical exercise. Your body will thank you for it.
6. Learn about the right nutrition to help you get the most out of your training, stay energised on runs and recover effectively afterwards. Read Runners Need’s expert guide to running nutrition
7. Tracking your progress can be a fantastic way of staying motivated. Download apps to your phone such as Strava, Map My Run or Runkeeper, they’re great for those that don’t own a sports watch or pedometer.
8. A great night’s sleep is key to helping your body recover quickly. So avoid using your smartphone, watching TV or consuming caffeine before bed. That way, you can wake up refreshed and vitalised for another day’s training.
9. Hydration is vital to keep your body functioning properly. So, make sure you drink plenty of water before, during and after physical exercise.
10. For those who need to wear one, choosing a good-fitting sports bra is just as important as finding the right running shoes – if it fits right and is comfortable, you’ll run well. Check out Runners Need's blog on how to find the perfect sports bra.
11. Remember to stay sun smart when you’re training and keep covered up.
12. And finally, remember to have fun. You’re doing something amazing, so thank you. We hope you enjoy your event!
How far is 3k exactly?
Every little helps
Training doesn't have to be just about following a training plan.
Why not think about going out for an evening walk in the park? If the full distance is a bit much, try slowly building up your distance.
Keeping active is one of the ways you can reduce your cancer risk.